Saturday, February 14, 2009

Perfect patient

So much for trying to make it through the year without an ER visit! We ended up there last night after Alex was having trouble breathing and was complaining about pain in his chest and tummy. At first the doc said it was asthma, but after seeing the x-rays she said it could also be Walking Pneumonia. He was given several breathing treatments and we couldn't go home until his breathing wasn't as labored and they were sure he was getting enough oxygen. We got there at 7pm and didn't leave until almost 3am. Unfortunately, we're all too familiar with the lengthy ER trips! And just the day before I was telling a friend, "We've gotta try to go one year without an ER visit." I should've knocked on wood because I think I totally jinxed us!




Throughout the whole ordeal Alex was just the model patient. He was being so adorably sweet, polite, and friendly. When the doc asked him to sit up so she could listen to his lungs he said, "Sure!" When the nurse gave him medicine and asked, "Can you take this for me?" he said, "Yes, I would love to." When she came in again and told him she was going to give him some more medicine he said, "Thanks!" I thought that he was going to freak out when they put the mask for the breathing treatment on him, but we told him it was like a pilot's mask and he had no problem with it at all. I even asked him, "Are you scared?" And he said, "No, I'm not scared. I promise." I was so proud of him. He didn't even complain once the whole time we were there!



Here he is with his "pilot's mask." It may be hard to see, but he is smiling.


He finally fell asleep around 11pm, only to be woken up minutes later so the respiratory therapist could pound on his chest to help loosen up his lungs. Poor kid.




This picture was taken today. He's very happy and we're trying not to let him be too active. He's anxiously awaiting his at-home breathing treatment as I'm typing this. The paper he's holding was from a girl whose little brother was in the next bed. She made him a little get well card and I thought that was so sweet!

2 comments:

  1. Oh goodness what a rough night you had, so glad to see he looks as though he is feeling much better and hopefully on the road to recovery. So was it officially "walking pneumonia"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They couldn't say for sure, just gave him the antibiotics just in case.

    ReplyDelete